Odds are, you’re reading this from your cell phone or mobile device right now.
That’s the norm these days. And what better way to stay in the loop, especially when you’re managing a busy restaurant, right?
But what if this one behavior is damaging your relationships with your staff?
Smartphones have become a staple in our technology-dominated society. What was once used primarily by top executives, they’re now found in the hands of more than half of America.
- 58% of American adults have a smartphone.
- 67% of cell owners find themselves checking their phone for messages, alerts, or calls — even when they don’t notice their phone ringing or vibrating.
- 44% of cell owners have slept with their phone next to their bed because they wanted to make sure they didn’t miss any calls, text messages, or other updates during the night.
- 29% of cell owners describe their cell phone as “something they can’t imagine living without.”
Smartphones have long been touted as beneficial for multi-taskers, but now they’ve managed to creep into every aspect of our day (and night) – both personally and professionally. And if we’re not careful, they can alter how we manage our people too.
Smartphones vs. Management
The most effective teams have two things in common: (1) They are built upon mutual respect and (2) their leadership leads by example.
Full access to this content is available to Carrie Luxem Members Login Here or Become a Member Today!
Restaurant HR Group
- 8 Self-Defeating Behaviors Keeping You From Living Your Best Life
Many of us at least have a general idea of where we want to be in life. And when...
- Boost Engagement: 7 Simple Strategies for the Restaurant Industry
For many of our clients, employee engagement tops the list. And why shouldn’t ...
- The Mental Health and Addiction Epidemic Ravaging the Restaurant Industry
Recent events in the restaurant industry have reminded us all of the fragility o...
- Improve Your People Skills and Become a Better Leader, Manager, and Person Too
The best leaders and managers among us tend to exhibit this intriguing constella...
- 5 HR Systems Every Restaurant Should Focus on Improving
This time of year, and the new year in general, is exceptionally busy for restau...