If you were setting foot into your own restaurant for the very first time, how would you feel? Not only as a patron, but as an employee?
Would you feel welcomed? Rushed? Comfortable? Anxious? Excited?
What we’re trying to pinpoint here is the culture that exists in your restaurant. Even though it’s one of the most frequently used buzzwords in the industry today, it’s still incredibly relevant.
The culture that you create within the walls of your establishment and among your employees is linked directly to your success.
So if you need to define your culture – or how about we call it vibe instead? – you can figure that out rather quickly with our method below.
Know Who You Are…Today
Do you know who you are?
Who you are as the owner, but also who – or what – your restaurant is?
Admittedly, it might sound somewhat nonsensical to think of your establishment like a living, breathing creature. But it truly is – each restaurant has its own characteristics, nuances, and of course, vibe.
So, first and foremost, owners need to know who they are. That means, they understand and identify:
- Their own personal characteristics (good and bad)
- Their personal challenges and obstacles
- Their values
- What they want employees to value
- How their restaurant concept is unique or different
- The challenges and obstacles the restaurant itself is facing
- What the current vibe of the restaurant is
A quick note about how values tie into culture: Values are how people act and culture is a direct result of that. So think very carefully about the values you hold high.
Now, if you write out all of the answers to the questions above, do you like what you see there in black and white? Does the current vibe match up with the intended vibe?
Are you living up to the values that you hold dear? Does your unique restaurant concept work with or against the vibe you’ve created?
In looking at those answers, if you’re not quite where you want to be, there’s still time to get back on track. We help clients do it all the time.
Remember: Culture is unique to each restaurant.
Full access to this content is available to Carrie Luxem Members Login Here or Become a Member Today!
Restaurant HR Group
- 8 Self-Defeating Behaviors Keeping You From Living Your Best Life
Many of us at least have a general idea of where we want to be in life. And when...
- Boost Engagement: 7 Simple Strategies for the Restaurant Industry
For many of our clients, employee engagement tops the list. And why shouldn’t ...
- The Mental Health and Addiction Epidemic Ravaging the Restaurant Industry
Recent events in the restaurant industry have reminded us all of the fragility o...
- Improve Your People Skills and Become a Better Leader, Manager, and Person Too
The best leaders and managers among us tend to exhibit this intriguing constella...
- 5 HR Systems Every Restaurant Should Focus on Improving
This time of year, and the new year in general, is exceptionally busy for restau...