When you can successfully foster employee loyalty, it becomes the gift that just keeps on giving. Turnover lessens, employee happiness skyrockets, and you finally get out of the recruiting and onboarding frenzy.
Unfortunately, many restaurant operators are facing an uphill battle. According to a 2019 workplace survey by staffing and recruiting firm, Addison Group, 80 percent of respondents said they would be likely or very likely to begin job searching after just one bad day at work — all this despite 72 percent of those same respondents being happy in their current roles.
But loyalty can be the tether that keeps employees grounded during those inevitable rough patches. Here's how to build your own loyal restaurant crew.
Become a dream creator.
Coming together around hope for a greater future can be an amazing catalyst for deepened connection and loyalty. Your team needs to be able to envision a future for themselves within the framework of the restaurant. If they can't envision it, then you need to help them see the possibilities available to them and craft the path to get them there.
• Help employees establish short- and long-term goals.
• Regularly discuss advancement opportunities with the team.
• Target funds and resources for career path and succession planning.
• Invest in your people by offering personal and professional development training, mentorship and leadership programs, and tuition reimbursement options.
• Encourage employees to share their successes — everything from enrolling in college to paying off their car loan to earning a supervisory role — and celebrate with them.
• Tap into technology. Play excerpts from TEDx talks during meetings and share interesting articles, book reviews, and podcasts to inspire and motivate your crew.
Full access to this content is available to Carrie Luxem Members Login Here or Become a Member Today!
Restaurant HR Group
- What is Your REAL Company Culture? When the Reality Doesn’t Match Your Vision
Lots of industry discussion revolves around culture....
- How to Build a Loyal Restaurant Crew
When you can successfully foster employee loyalty,...
- 8 Mistakes New Restaurant Managers Make + How to Avoid Them
It can be incredibly tough for new managers to find...
- A Trendy Restaurant and Great Food Is Just Not Enough
Consider this all too common scenario: You’ve...
- The Mental Health and Addiction Epidemic Ravaging the Restaurant Industry
Recent events in the restaurant industry have reminded...
Copyright © Carrie Luxem 2019 All Rights Reserved
Legal Disclaimer: The information I publish is not legal advice but rather is intended to prompt a discussion on best practices in human resources. Further, federal and state laws are amended frequently and vary significantly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Therefore, the published information may not be current at the time that you read it or it may not be applicable to your jurisdiction. As such, you should not rely upon any of the published information without first consulting directly with Restaurant HR, legal counsel, and reviewing your local, state, and federal laws as well as any applicable industry practices and company policies.
Website designed and developed by Cyblance