Did you make resolutions for your business or restaurant this year? If not, I’ve got a good one for you:
Forget firing and focus on hiring.
Sounds a bit one-sided, doesn’t it? But think of it this way: If you focus your energy and resources on hiring the right employees, then firing will become almost a non-issue.
So how do you find those elusive, made-just-for-you employees? Here are four “hiring hacks” to ensure this is one resolution with staying power.
1. Form a Foundation
Successful hiring depends on a lot of factors, but it’s virtually impossible to get it right if you don’t have the foundation formed first. And that means you have to know the three W’s of your business:
- What – What is your specialty or niche? What defines you from your competitors?
- Where – Where are you going? Describe future goals, how you plan to get there, and who you would like to bring along for the ride.
- Why – Why does your business matter? Are you invested in the community? Your staff? Sure, you serve delicious food, but why would job-seekers want to become part of your team instead of the restaurant down the street?
In other words, you have to know who you are as an organization.
Define – in vivid detail – your brand and ideal company culture. Don’t get too broad here; it’s important to drill down to the core and tap into how your culture makes people feel. Those emotions are what your employees and patrons will remember most.
2. Profile Employees
I want you to create a profile for each position in the restaurant – from hostesses to servers to the head chef. Meaning, you’re going to write down the ideal characteristics that an employee in that position should possess. Think of both technical and soft skills that would be successful within your culture.
Full access to this content is available to Carrie Luxem Members Login Here or Become a Member Today!
Restaurant HR Group
- How to Approach Homelessness with Kindness and Empathy + Printable Toolkit
In many areas of the nation, homelessness has become...
- 10 Leadership Skills Vital to Restaurant Success
It’s just not enough to have a trendy restaurant...
- Why a Purpose-Driven Restaurant is the Only Way to Go
When you’re driving into work or closing down after...
- 50 Employee Benefits and Perks Your Team Will Adore
Generous employee benefits or perks are not only fantastic...
- It’s Time To Rethink Employee Retention
When you’re operating a restaurant, there’s a steady...
Copyright © Carrie Luxem 2019 All Rights Reserved
Legal Disclaimer: The information I publish is not legal advice but rather is intended to prompt a discussion on best practices in human resources. Further, federal and state laws are amended frequently and vary significantly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Therefore, the published information may not be current at the time that you read it or it may not be applicable to your jurisdiction. As such, you should not rely upon any of the published information without first consulting directly with Restaurant HR, legal counsel, and reviewing your local, state, and federal laws as well as any applicable industry practices and company policies.
Website designed and developed by Cyblance