Did you make resolutions for your business or restaurant this year? If not, I’ve got a good one for you:
Forget firing and focus on hiring.
Sounds a bit one-sided, doesn’t it? But think of it this way: If you focus your energy and resources on hiring the right employees, then firing will become almost a non-issue.
So how do you find those elusive, made-just-for-you employees? Here are four “hiring hacks” to ensure this is one resolution with staying power.
1. Form a Foundation
Successful hiring depends on a lot of factors, but it’s virtually impossible to get it right if you don’t have the foundation formed first. And that means you have to know the three W’s of your business:
- What – What is your specialty or niche? What defines you from your competitors?
- Where – Where are you going? Describe future goals, how you plan to get there, and who you would like to bring along for the ride.
- Why – Why does your business matter? Are you invested in the community? Your staff? Sure, you serve delicious food, but why would job-seekers want to become part of your team instead of the restaurant down the street?
In other words, you have to know who you are as an organization.
Define – in vivid detail – your brand and ideal company culture. Don’t get too broad here; it’s important to drill down to the core and tap into how your culture makes people feel. Those emotions are what your employees and patrons will remember most.
2. Profile Employees
I want you to create a profile for each position in the restaurant – from hostesses to servers to the head chef. Meaning, you’re going to write down the ideal characteristics that an employee in that position should possess. Think of both technical and soft skills that would be successful within your culture.
Full access to this content is available to Carrie Luxem Members Login Here or Become a Member Today!
Restaurant HR Group
- The Power of Belief: What Happens When Others See Your Potential
"Belief in yourself is hastened by the cheers of those who come alongside you." ...
- Restaurant Owners – Should You Be Using Employee Contracts?
Employee contracts are like this odd gray vortex in the HR world. There are pros...
- 3 Simple Tips for Writing Performance Reviews
Employee performance reviews can be stressful for both managers and employees. C...
- Resiliency: The Key to Weathering Any Storm
Adaptability is a key trait for navigating our modern world. It's truly an unmat...
- 8 Self-Defeating Behaviors Keeping You From Living Your Best Life
Many of us at least have a general idea of where we want to be in life. And when...