The best leaders and managers among us tend to exhibit this intriguing constellation of specific characteristics and behaviors.
In fact, Harold S. Geneen, an American businessman and former CEO of ITT Corporation, sums up this phenomenon much more eloquently: "Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and in actions."
These attitudes and actions are expressed by many leaders in the form of impressive people skills. They have this amazing ability to always treat others well and with care as well as a dedication to nurturing relationships.
Here are a few ways you can improve your own people skills and become a better leader and manager — and perhaps even a person too.
Relationships are at the core of great leadership. If you don't connect with each member of your team and take the time to form a relationship with them, then the level at which you can truly lead can be compromised.
How to build relationships:
- Be authentically you: Your employees can spot inauthenticity from a mile away.
- Be positive: Even when you're facing seemingly insurmountable odds, keep your spirits up and set the example for the team.
- Show you care: Find small ways every day to let your employees know you care.
- Follow through: If you say you're going to do it, always, always follow through.
- Be honest: Even when doing so is hard or intimidating.
- Treat people with kindness and respect: Because everyone deserves to be engaged in this way.
- Take an interest in others: Show a genuine interest in the lives, hobbies, and goals of your team.
- Help without expectation: Offer a helping hand because it's the right thing to do, not because you expect something in return.
Full access to this content is available to Carrie Luxem Members Login Here or Become a Member Today!
Restaurant HR Group
- The Power of Belief: What Happens When Others See Your Potential
"Belief in yourself is hastened by the cheers of those who come alongside you." ...
- Restaurant Owners – Should You Be Using Employee Contracts?
Employee contracts are like this odd gray vortex in the HR world. There are pros...
- 3 Simple Tips for Writing Performance Reviews
Employee performance reviews can be stressful for both managers and employees. C...
- Resiliency: The Key to Weathering Any Storm
Adaptability is a key trait for navigating our modern world. It's truly an unmat...
- 8 Self-Defeating Behaviors Keeping You From Living Your Best Life
Many of us at least have a general idea of where we want to be in life. And when...