The best leaders and managers among us tend to exhibit this intriguing constellation of specific characteristics and behaviors.
In fact, Harold S. Geneen, an American businessman and former CEO of ITT Corporation, sums up this phenomenon much more eloquently: "Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and in actions."
These attitudes and actions are expressed by many leaders in the form of impressive people skills. They have this amazing ability to always treat others well and with care as well as a dedication to nurturing relationships.
Here are a few ways you can improve your own people skills and become a better leader and manager — and perhaps even a person too.
Relationships are at the core of great leadership. If you don't connect with each member of your team and take the time to form a relationship with them, then the level at which you can truly lead can be compromised.
How to build relationships:
- Be authentically you: Your employees can spot inauthenticity from a mile away.
- Be positive: Even when you're facing seemingly insurmountable odds, keep your spirits up and set the example for the team.
- Show you care: Find small ways every day to let your employees know you care.
- Follow through: If you say you're going to do it, always, always follow through.
- Be honest: Even when doing so is hard or intimidating.
- Treat people with kindness and respect: Because everyone deserves to be engaged in this way.
- Take an interest in others: Show a genuine interest in the lives, hobbies, and goals of your team.
- Help without expectation: Offer a helping hand because it's the right thing to do, not because you expect something in return.
Full access to this content is available to Carrie Luxem Members Login Here or Become a Member Today!
Restaurant HR Group
- 8 Self-Defeating Behaviors Keeping You From Living Your Best Life
Many of us at least have a general idea of where we want to be in life. And when...
- Boost Engagement: 7 Simple Strategies for the Restaurant Industry
For many of our clients, employee engagement tops the list. And why shouldn’t ...
- The Mental Health and Addiction Epidemic Ravaging the Restaurant Industry
Recent events in the restaurant industry have reminded us all of the fragility o...
- Improve Your People Skills and Become a Better Leader, Manager, and Person Too
The best leaders and managers among us tend to exhibit this intriguing constella...
- 5 HR Systems Every Restaurant Should Focus on Improving
This time of year, and the new year in general, is exceptionally busy for restau...