Lots of industry discussion revolves around culture. Why is that exactly?
Well, culture can be such a complicated and loaded topic. At first glance, it may seem like we're all complicating it more than necessary. In reality though, it's just incredibly difficult to get it right, especially when so many people — managers, customers, vendors, etc. — are exposed to and influence it.
So while the vision of your company's culture may be crystal clear to you, does it translate to reality? Let's take a look at how to determine if your cultural reality and vision are in sync.
Crystal Clear Vision
Before you do anything else, you have to be very, very clear and detail the culture you envision. If you feel overwhelmed at the thought, consider these questions:
- How do you want people — both employees and customers — to feel when they enter your restaurant?
- How do employees greet customers? What kind of uniform do employees wear?
- How is the restaurant decorated? Is the lighting bright or dim?
- Is there music playing in the background? If so, what kind?
These questions may seem a bit strange at first glance, but thinking about things like the ambiance and décor of your restaurant may help to pinpoint how you define the intended culture. After all, the culture will influence the type of employees you hire and the type of customers you attract. If culture, customers, and employees aren't in line with or complementary to each other, you may have "cultural confusion," which can lead to major problems down the road.
Full access to this content is available to Carrie Luxem Members Login Here or Become a Member Today!
Restaurant HR Group
- 8 Self-Defeating Behaviors Keeping You From Living Your Best Life
Many of us at least have a general idea of where we want to be in life. And when...
- Boost Engagement: 7 Simple Strategies for the Restaurant Industry
For many of our clients, employee engagement tops the list. And why shouldn’t ...
- The Mental Health and Addiction Epidemic Ravaging the Restaurant Industry
Recent events in the restaurant industry have reminded us all of the fragility o...
- Improve Your People Skills and Become a Better Leader, Manager, and Person Too
The best leaders and managers among us tend to exhibit this intriguing constella...
- 5 HR Systems Every Restaurant Should Focus on Improving
This time of year, and the new year in general, is exceptionally busy for restau...